Schema upgrades for Active Directory in Server 2016

• Last Post 15 November 2016
SmitaCarneiro posted this 15 November 2016

I have a test domain that is at server 2012 R2 level. I want to upgrade the schema so it will support RODCs that are based on server 2016. However when I look at the support directory on the Server 2016 media, there are a lot of .ldf files. Is there any way (other than manually looking at each .ldf file) to tell which ones I need? I will upgrade the domain to server 2016 later, but wanted to upgrade the schema before that.     There are a lot of articles giving advice on upgrading the schema for Exchange 2016, but nothing that is specific to Active Directory.   Thanks,     Smita Carneiro, GCWN Active Directory Systems Engineer IT Security and Policy Ross Enterprise Center 3495 Kent Avenue, Suite 100 West Lafayette, IN 47906      

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
a-ko posted this 15 November 2016

Should just be able to run adprep.exe

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd464018(v=ws.10).aspx

You’ll want to run it like this:

Adprep /forestprep

Wait for replication

Adprep /domainprep

wait for replication

Adprep /rodcprep

wait for replication

Follow the guide on where to run the commands.

The ISO has this tool under the support\adprep folder. Copy the entire adprep folder around to the different FSMO role holders as needed.

If you’ve got a single site, single DC forest you don’t really have to wait.

Single site, multi DC should be instant replication as well

Multi-site, multi-DC forest will take replication time (unless you’ve got the inter-site notifications on)

show

bdesmond posted this 15 November 2016

You shouldn’t try to import the individual LDIF files. They’re numbered sequentially so if you’re curious what is new, look at 2012 R2 media, and whatever

the highest number is (sch##.ldf), the next one on up in the 2016 media is net-new.

Michael covered the adprep part in his message

Thanks,

Brian Desmond

w – 312.625.1438 | c – 312.731.3132

show

SmitaCarneiro posted this 15 November 2016

Thanks Brian and Michael!

Smita Carneiro, GCWN

Active Directory Systems Engineer

IT Security and Policy

Ross Enterprise Center

3495 Kent Avenue, Suite 100