Hi Michael,

Thanks for the response, But it isn't quite what I
want. The code you give gives the NetBios name of the
logged on user. I am trying to find the NetBios name
for another domain.

I have tried enumerating all machines on the domain
and then pinging them, but it takes too long. We have 20,000 machines, of which
10,000 are offline. Each ping to an offline machine takes 1 sec to time out, so
it takes over 3 hours! I was looking a for a quicker way....

Alan C

show

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
support posted this 22 August 2005

Hi Peter,

It could be NetBiosName that I am looking for. I tried it on my domain, but
it had no value. However that could be because my domain was not built pre
Windows 2000. I will try it on the offending domain and see what it returns.

Alan C

show

webster posted this 20 September 2016

“I need to export entire AD information as part of documentation which should contain, DC, GC, DNS, OS, IP, Site, description, schema version, Recycle bin

enabled, and so on if possible.”

I have scripts that document all that information in Word, PDF, Text and HTML. While not an export into CSV, they will give you all the information you are asking

for.

http://carlwebster.com/downloads/download-info/microsoft-dns/

The Active Directory V2 documentation script is still in development. Email me off list and I will send you a copy.

Thanks

Carl Webster

Citrix Technology Professional

http://www.CarlWebster.com

The Accidental Citrix Admin

show

VolkerE posted this 20 September 2016

Hi,

what about the ADTD = Active Directory Topology Diagrammer?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=13380

Yes, quite old and not all requested Information will be exported and documented.

But it will do most of the job and (depending on the size of the AD) will build a nice looking picture…

BR,

Volker

show

sampathmanova posted this 20 September 2016

Hi Volker,
I am using ADTD as part of design. I am currently looking to extract AD users and computer from entire forest with re-try if any of the domain is timeout for some reason. In general, it must not timeout but it is happening to me.
Best Regards,Sampath

show

VolkerE posted this 27 September 2016

Could be because of a domain controller behind a firewall.

ADTD is using sometimes any of the DCs not the nearest…

show

kbatlive posted this 12 October 2016

Sorry for late reply…

Can’t help on the second part (not easily) – but for the first part – if you want’ all users/computers in a domain in different CSV files…why

not use CSVDE rather than powershell?

Csvde -f outputfile.csv -s DCNAME -r “(&(objectclass=user)(objectcategory=user))”

If you don’t want all the attributes – then use the -l parameter to specify which attributes you want extracted:

-l samaccountname,userprincipalname

Then repeat for computers:

Csvde -f outputfile2.csv -s DCNAME -r “(&objectclass=user)(objectcategory=computer))”

And use -l parameter to limit the returned attributes

Good luck!

show

sampathmanova posted this 13 October 2016

Thank you all for suggestion!
Csvde only extracting report properly if I specify dc name or domain name with exact count.
The powershell was skipping server name mentioning rpc server unavailable when try both the way but the servers are reachable. It looks like, wan connection is not that much stable and dc and ps has timeout so it is being skipped. Another problem is, but the domain may have 1000+ objects but the result contains only 250 or 255 records which is happening to few domains but not with csvde. Also, the skipping domain is not  constant except few. Later, i see that these kind of issue within memeber server as well between domains while quering some result like service status.
Actually,  I was required to use ps because, I added custom colum as domain name and single file with proper date format in the lastlogontimestsmp.
Best regards, Sam

show

barkills posted this 13 October 2016

The AD PS cmdlets can return more than 1000 results—you are running into a paging limit.

As Gil said, you’ve got another problem to find and fix. Might be the AD web services, which provide the interface that the AD PS cmdlets hit. Might be DNS. Might

be a lot of things. But not enough info for us to do much more than generally speculate.

Also, your email leaves me unclear whether you’ve achieved your goal or not. At this point, I’m assuming you have.

Brian

show

sampathmanova posted this 14 October 2016

Hi Brian,
I archived extracting report via csvde.
I am having 10+ domain and its happening to few domain. The result is good if I run on that domain domain controller and not from remotely during business hours which I noticed.  But the csvde providing result any domain report running from anywhere. 
Sure, I will check all these aspect. 
Best regards, Sam

show

Close